Saturday, November 14, 2009

Need dental work done. No ins, low income, new in city, what can I do?

I'm a young person, going to college, working part time. I need some dental work, but I do not have insurance. I've been out on my own for quite awhile, but my mother might be able to help me a little. How do I find a good dentist that will work with me?

Need dental work done. No ins, low income, new in city, what can I do?
Does your college/university offer an insurance program? A lot of larger schools, especially those with dental programs, offer insurance to students, and you can go see their dental students for free. Also check the state your living in - many offer subsidized insurance plans to low income households/students - I know in Massachusetts *everyone* is now required to have insurance, so there are a lot of programs.





Dental insurance, compared to general medical insurance, is actually relatively cheap (I think I pay $10 a month?), so signing up for a dental-only private insurance plan might be the way to go. Or, if you find an office that will do a payment plan (many will!), depending on the work you need done (cleaning, cavities/fillings?), you can get by with spending a couple hundred bucks on something, out of pocket. I know a cleaning is generally around $120 without coverage. Doing a Google search on dentists + payment plan + your city might give you some results. Good luck! I've just had a raft of dental work done, myself :)
Reply:call and ask around


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net